international data initiatives >
There are many European data and information initiatives in the marine domain currently being developed. The relationships between these initiatives and UK organisations are explained in this summary document (last updated 16March12).
Illustration of international data initiatives in relation to domain and data scale. Shading donates initiatives that currently are, or it is anticipated will be, managing data and information taken to satisfy EC Legislation or Convention
European data and information initiatives and their acronyms:
- Water Information System for Europe (WISE) and WISEmarine
- Shared Environmental Information Service (SEIS)
- Infrastructure for Spatial information in Europe (INSPIRE)
- European Marine Observation and Data Network (EMODNET)
- European Environment Information and Observation Network (EIONET)
- International Council for the Exploration of the Sea (ICES)
- Global Monitoring for Environment and Security (GMES) (Kopernikus)
- International Hydrographic Organisation (IHO)
- International Oceanographic Commission (IOC)
- European Spatial Data Research (EuroSDR)
An EU Directive that is currently being implemented, which sets obligations on what the public authorities of the Member States do with the data they collect. Public authorities holding data covered by the directive will have to share their data with other public authorities (e.g. EU institutions). They must allow the public to view data for free, buy the data for download and use over the Internet, and must comply with technical implementing rules to improve consistency. MEDIN is registered as a Spatial Data Interest Community and provides MEDIN INSPIRE updates on the INSPIRE implementation to members.